We’d like to send a big thank you to all the men and women who have served or are serving our country. Whether you’re working today or plan to attend one of the many local Veterans Day events, be sure to take a moment to show your appreciation for those who fight for our freedom.
The Greater Hickory Metropolitan Community Veterans Day Ceremony, 6:00 p.m. Hickory Elks Lodge #1654, 356 Main Ave. NW, Hickory
Alexander County Veterans Day Celebration, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., ACHS Auditorium, 223 School Drive, Taylorsville
American Legion Post 86 Veterans Day Program, 11:00 a.m., at the Cornelius Veteran's Monument at Rotary Plaza and the Cornelius Town Hall lawn.
If you plan to display an American flag, please keep in mind the Flag Code guidelines. The flag:
- Should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
- Should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
- Should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
- Should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
- Should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
- Should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.
- Should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
- Should not touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms.
- To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
- Should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
From all of us at 72 Degrees of Hickory, have a safe and happy Veterans Day!