If you plan to start your holiday shopping this weekend, don’t forget to buy a cup of joe at a Hickory area coffee shop, and visit other stores that are close to home. This Saturday is Small Business Saturday - a day to celebrate and support small businesses and all they do for their communities. Here are just a few reasons to shop local:
1. Money Back into the Community - One study shows $45 of every $100 spent at small, local businesses stays in the local economy. The money you spend is reinvested into schools, taxes and other community needs.
2. More Jobs - Locally owned businesses create more jobs for the people who live there.
3. Environmental Sustainability - Local stores and restaurants help to sustain vibrant, walkable town centers which are essential to reducing sprawl, automobile use, habitat loss, and air and water pollution.
4. Product Diversity - Most small businesses select their product offerings based on their own interests and the needs of customers, allowing them to offer more unique choices than bigger stores.
5. Customer Service - Good customer service is hard to find during the holidays because retail employees are often stretched thin and busy with other customers. Small businesses offer knowledgeable, personalized help in a less crowded environment.
Small Business Saturday was started in 2010 by American Express. The credit card company says the event brings $5.5 billion in revenue to small businesses throughout the country. If you register your AMEX card and use it in participating stores and restaurants, you’ll receive a $10 credit on your AMEX bill.
Click here for a list of participating shops and restaurants in the Hickory area.
We are proud to be a small business serving Hickory and the surrounding areas and support our local community businesses. Please give us a call if we can help you keep your home warm this holiday season.
Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at 72 Degrees of Hickory!